Saturday, March 06, 2010

NWOH-it-all: Rye Silverman

Columbus native Rye Silverman will be the feature act Tuesday night at Grumpy Dave's Pub.

Silverman, a nine-year professional comedian, gave some personal insight to a comedian's life in an exclusive phone interview with Northwest Ohio Comedy.

Silverman will be the feature act Tuesday night during comedy night at Grumpy Dave's Pub. He will be opening for headliner Steve Brewer.

The Ohio State University graduate said he's gained passion for comedy over the past decade.

Below are some fun facts, advice and what Silverman plans to do with himself in the near future.

Hometown: Columbus

Age: 28

Years professional: Nine

Approximate number of shows performed yearly: 200

Comedic Inspirations/Influences: Steve Martin, Dana Carvey, David Spade, Mitch Hedberg

You might know Silverman from: Previously performing at Grumpy Dave's Pub. He visits the club twice a year.

Fun Fact: Usually doesn't eat right before a show.

Q: When did you first want to be a comedian?
RS: I've always wanted to do it since I was a kid. I was a giant fan of comedians when I was younger. I really fell in love with it.

Q: How did you get your professional start?
RS: When I was a freshman in college I saw an ad for a local open mike at the Columbus Funny Bone. And I just was like, 'if I don't do this now, I'm never going to do it.' So I made myself go out and do the open mike.

Q: How would you describe your style of comedy?
RS: I'm somebody who's not afraid to take chances. What I do in my act is very personal. It's a lot of stuff from my own life. I embrace my peculiarities and talk about them on-stage, so my act runs the gauntlet of talking about things like having to move back in with my parents to pay off debt, geekiness and even cross-dressing.

Q: As a comedian, what must you do to remain successful?
RS: I think just continuing to hone a quality act. I've gotten to a point in my life where I'm not so concerned about the financial gains from comedy. Thinking how rich you want to be is a mistake. I think you have to do it for pure love of comedy. The more that I make my act into something that I love and the more I am happy with my act , the more I feel like everything will click into place behind it.

Q: How do you stay motivated performing night in and night out?
RS: I'm always fine-tuning and shaping my act into something different. Even if I'm telling the same jokes, I find nuances to them or changes to them or new ways to deliver them. It's almost this rise to constantly be getting better and then the thrill of being on stage. I just love doing comedy I love everything about comedy. It's like a compulsion almost.

Q: Where are some of the places you enjoy visiting when you come to Bowling Green?
RS: Finders Records and Grounds for Thought.

Q: Any big plans in the near future?

RS: I plan on moving to [Los Angeles] to kick my game into the next level. The reason why I'm going to L.A. is because I want to study comedy in a bigger venue and also take classes and hone my craft. It is an art form, in my opinion and I want to take advantage to strengthen my art.

2 comments: