Saturday, February 20, 2010

What I Want in a Comedy Show


If laughter is medicine, then consider me the healthiest person in the world.

Whether the words come from me, a comic or a situation, I am chuckling loudly at anything I consider even moderately funny.

In fact, if you stand outside my apartment or Bowling Green State University's West Hall -- the two places I spend the majority of my time -- five minutes won't go buy without you hearing me chuckling or cackling prolifically.

Even though laughs aren't hard to produce, there is a certain criteria comics must meet in order for me to enjoy.

There is nothing worse than attending a comedy show and sitting without a smile on your face.

So if you are a comic, here are some tips to make sure the performance is top notch:

Talk about real situations
Anecdotal experiences are stories people can relate to, and enjoy with the comic. Chances are, if you have car trouble or wait in long lines and can find a way to relate it to comedy, people will laugh because they can relate.

We are not against you
Unless there is a rude heckler or a severely immature audience member striving for attention, people attend a comedy club to enjoy the performer. While it might seem like a tough crowd, it's because you are making it that way.

Have your own style
Popular topics are great to talk about such as sex, alcohol and any other indulgence. But every comic needs to have their own spin. We already know how Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and Chris Rock delivers their material, so don't do the same. The world is accepting of comedic diversity.

Interaction
The audience typically likes being involved in the performance. Even if you are making jokes or slants against them, chances are, they will understand the situation, give you the benefit of the doubt, and laugh along with the audience.

The Jinni Blog posts an insightful blog, detailing who are today's best comics and why they make people laugh.



1 comment:

  1. Can't agree with you more about the "We are not against you" tip. Whe people go to a show, they do WANT to laugh. I once went to an Andy Kindler show in Chicago and he was just plain unfunny. And he took offense when no one laughed and started essentially saying we were stupid. In reality, it looked like he was on something that night and had lost his hold on reality. When I see him on late-night shows these days, I do find him funny but wonder what happened that night.

    ReplyDelete